The Royal Burgh consists of one principal street with numerous lanes branching off it.
A considerable number of the houses have an old antiquated appearance, others have been much improved and modernised in the past forty years.
In 1919 the Church of Scotland took over work in Rosyth and from August 1920 Rosyth was recognised as a mission station, under Inverkeithing St Peter's. Parts of Inverkeithing parish were included in Dunfermline registration district, and parts of Dunfermline parish were included in Inverkeithing registration district, until 1891.
The kirk session, which remains active today, presently sits within the Presbytery of Dunfermline. The parish entry in Pigot's National Commercial Directory for the whole of Scotland, 1837, is online at Google Books.
The parish church of Rosyth was opened and consecrated on Saturday 11th July 1931 and the parish itself was later erected quoad sacra by the General Assembly in 1935. entries of Proclamations 1710 - 1718, and of Contract or Proclamation fees 1734 - 1749. At the National Records of Scotland, Edinburgh: Registration districts did not necessarily coincide exactly with parishes.
The church of Rosyth, said to be dedicated to St John, ceased to be used as a place of worship shortly after 1630 and now stands as a ruin. Baptisms, 1805-1854; Marriages 1748-1819, 1734- 1749. 1736-1743, 1770-1855; Burials, 1783-1784, 1740-1760, 1803-1843; Session book (includes Marriage proclamations and Mortcloth dues [burial records]), 1698-1721.
The congregtion of Inverkeithing Associate (Burgher) Church was established in 1752, following the presentation of a petition to the Burgher Presbytery of Perth and Dunfermline, signed by around 127 town coucillors, heads of familes, and others resident within Inverkeithing, requesting provision of sermon. Westwood's Parochial Directory for the Counties of Fife and Kinross for 18 are online at Google Books.
The request was granted and in the following year a church with seating for 600 was erected. On the Records pages of the Fife Family History Society website there is a transcription of the 1862 edition.
The parish church and a UP Church are both situated on the main street.
The town contains a corn exchange, a music hall, a town house and jail.
Inverkeithing Church, which was dedicated to St Peter was used as the place of worship from 1630. Deaths / burials are listed on Fife Family History Society's Pre-1855 Fife Deaths CD. Kirk Session records are held at the National Records of Scotland, Edinburgh.